Ruby Hospital is a state-of-the-art medical facility in Kampala that offers the first of its kind medical services and treatment with upgraded medical technology pioneered by sophisticated medical expertise, personalized care and compassion of doctors of national and international repute.
We are looking for a skilled driver with a good driving record to join our team as an ambulance driver. The responsibilities of the ambulance driver include driving the ambulance safely to emergency locations, transporting emergency personnel, transporting patients, and assisting in moving patients via stretchers to the hospital.
To be successful as an ambulance driver, you should have a valid driver’s license and an excellent driving record. Ultimately, a top-notch ambulance driver should thrive under pressure and should possess compassion when helping patients.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Inspecting the ambulance before each shift, checking the fuel, oil, transmission fluid, wiper fluid, and coolant, and reporting any needed repairs.
- Checking the first aid and medical supplies inventory levels before each shift and ensuring the ambulance is well-stocked.
- Assisting patients onto gurneys and loading them into the ambulance.
- Driving an ambulance as quickly and as safely as possible to transport patients to the hospital.
- Providing first aid or administering oxygen if the patient requires care before reaching the hospital.
- Sanitizing the ambulance and safely disposing of any medical waste and soiled linens.
- Maintaining your driving log with daily entries and noting patients’ names and addresses, travel times, mileage, and service performed.
- Reporting accident facts to medical personnel and police officers, when necessary.
Skills and Qualifications:
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Current drivers license required.
- Ambulance drivers certificate required.
- Understanding of rules, regulations, policies, and procedures that apply to ambulance service.
- Good interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to work well under pressure.
- Prolonged periods of sitting while driving.
- Must be able to lift up to 75 pounds at times with or without assistance.
- First aid and CPR certification.
- Knowledge of radio transmission codes.
- Emergency vehicle operator certification may be advantageous.
- Excellent defensive driving skills and the ability to read a map.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to remain calm under pressure and reassure frightened patients.
- Great judgment and decision-making skills.
- Good physical agility.
- Good defensive driving skills.
- Sound knowledge of GPS devices.
- Professional certification in First Aid and CRP will be an advantage.
- Prior work experience working as an Ambulance Driver or a similar position in the Healthcare unit.
Interested persons who meet the above criteria should send their applications to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating in the subject line the position applied for.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.